11 Things You Don't Know About Jason Richardson An interview by Ashley LaRae
Just because Jason Richardson has a good heart doesn't mean he won't embarass you on the court with his intense slam dunks and ability to score. This powerful player has a knack for soft jumpers, intense dunks......and, unbeknownst to many, giving back to his community. During his last week as a Phoenix Sun, I had the chance to sit down with this veteran NBA Guard to learn a few things we don't know about one of Orlando Magic's newest additions (although might I say, we Suns fans sure do miss him!).
11 things you don't know about Jason:
1. Jason's biggest fear is gaining weight (as in, growing old and becoming a 6'6" butterball). His next biggest fear is flying (he sincerely believes he'll die in a plane crash...which I'm sure makes his frequent team flights a little unnerving).
2. He loves Gummybears (he says he's a sucker for them...although, he turned down dessert at our lunch interview. I guess Kona Grill's desert menu didn't compare to his Gummy fetish).
3. He's a major history buff. He likes to travel to explore history all over the world (he's even jealous of other countries that have more history than America does). Ask him a history question and he's likely to give the right answer every time!
4. He watches the same movies over and over........and over and over and over. Most speficically, Coming to America.
5. Although he already has children, he's always wanted to adopt a child. He says he wants to "give someone who's come from a bad situation a chance for something better."
6. He's a secret singing bee! He loves music and loves to sing...he'll even sing at karaoke bars (imagine
7. He doesn't cook (actually, he says he boils noodles and uses his George Forman Grill...but I'm not sure that counts). It's not that he's no good at it, he just has no interest at all...no "patience for it".
8. Everytime he goes back home to Michigan for a game, he needs between 300-400 tickets (whoa!)...so he set up a deal with the Pistons and now gets party busses to ship friends and family to those games.
9. He's a morning person...bigtime. He says, "If I'm sleeping, the world is having fun without me" (although...he DOES nap from 2-4pm before every game).
10. Skydiving!! That's his favorite fix for his addiction to adventure and spontaneity.
11. He DJ's as a hobby (mostly in the summertime). Call him DJ JRich from now on.
and a few more things you SHOULD know:
1. Jason was the 5th overall draft pick in 2001 (by Golden State Warriors).
2. He was NBA All-Rookie First Team (2002).
3. He was the Rookie Challenge MVP (2002).
4. He was 2× NBA Slam Dunk Champion (2002-2003).
5. His non-profit organization, Jason Richardson Foundation, created MAN-Up Forum, where he and the United Way will be linking up with the White House for workshops that focus on educating kids on decision-making.
6. He created a scholarship program in his Michgan-hometown.
7. He sponsors an entire section each home game where inner-city and underprivilaged kids can watch the game.