11 Things You Don't Know About Carmelo Anthony An interview by Ashley LaRae
Since entering the NBA, 28 year old Carmelo Anthony, NY Knicks newest superstar, has emerged as one of the most well-known players in the league. Leading the Denver Nuggets to two division titles and to the playoffs each season since his rookie year, he even helped his former team advance to the Conference Finals in 2009 for the first time since 1985. While he’s been in the spotlight for several seasons now, after chatting with Carmelo for a few minutes I found that there were still a few things to learn about this powerhouse player.
11 things you don't know about Carmelo:
1. He likes to cook (everything!).
2. He used to draw as a kid (would even get in trouble for drawing on the walls and school desks...apparenlty his creativity brought the troublemaking side out).
3. He loves movies (his top 3 favorites are Harlem Nights, Coming to America and Life).
4. Fishing is one of his favorite hobbies.
5. He only eats one meal on game days (one huge breakfast).
6. He likes to read (his favorite book is 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene and Joost Elffer).
7. He loves seafood (and doesn't eat red meat or pork...one healthy man!).
8. He drinks red wine to unwind (Pinot Noir to be specific)
9. He naps for 2 1/2 hours before each game.
10. The best moment of his life was winning the Gold medal at the 2008 Olympics.
11. His favorite athlete and mentor is Muhammad Ali (who is also one of his biggest influences along with Malcom X).
...and a few more things you SHOULD know:
1. Carmelo won the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship and NCAA BAsketball Tournament Most Outstanding Player during his rookie season with Syracuse University in 2003.
2. During his rookie season with the Denver Nuggets, he became the second youngest player in NBA history to score 30 points or more in a game (19 years, 151 days), became the third-youngest player to reach the 1,000-point plateau in NBA history, he set a new Denver Nuggets franchise record for most points in a game by a rookie, became the second-youngest player to score at least 40 points in a game in NBA history (19 years, 305 days), and became the fourth player in NBA history to capture all six of the Rookie of the Month awards in a season.
3. He was NBA All-Rookie FIrst Team in 2004.
4. He won a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens with the USA Basketball Team.
5. He was NBA Rookie Challenge MVP in 2005.
6. Anthony became the third-youngest player in NBA history to reach 2,000 career points during the 2004-2005 season.
7. He became the second youngest player to score 5,000 points during his 2005-2006 season.
8. He won a Gold medal at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing with the USA Basketball Team.
9. Carmelo's seventh signature shoe with Jordan Brand, the Melo M7 launched November 20, 2010.