11 Things You Don't Know About John Legend An interview by Ashley LaRae
John Legend’s powerful voice, impressive instrumental talents, and calculating collaborations have launched his career to the top in only a few short years. His first album, Get Lifted, was certified Platinum and two of its singles went straight to number one. In 2006, he won the Grammy for “Best New Artist” and quickly picked up five more Grammy Awards in addition to receiving the special Starlight award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame. After one of the most captivating and intimate concerts I’ve ever been to (where John and The Roots performed in the 200-seat Clive Davis Theater inside the Grammy Museum), I had the chance to pick his amusingly creative brain and draw out 11 things most of us don’t know about him.
11 things you don't know about John: 1. John’s fashion sense stems from his early childhood…he’d dress up in suits and carry a briefcase around at a young age (just preparing for his notably fashionable future, I suppose!).
2. He dreamed of either being a singer or the President of the United States when he was young (hey, one out of two isn’t so bad).
3. He follows politics in his spare time (which makes sense since he wanted to be President)..
4. His favorite city is New York (but his favorite city to vacation is Florence, Italy because of its beauty and great art).
5. He likes to cook, but doesn’t have the opportunity to do so often.
6. His favorite food is fried chicken (he makes his own and its his most requested meal…he says he has no special ingredients but Lawry’s season salt definitely helps…of course, since we all know it’s a staple in all fried food seasonings).
7. Out of all sports, he enjoys watching football and basketball the most (he plays basketball in his spare time but claim he’s no good).
8. Before each show he drinks Throat Coat (herbal tea) and eats Buffalo wings.
9. His biggest inspiration as a child was his grandma, who played the organ and introduced him to music that has inspired him throughout his lifetime.
10. His favorite song is “Please Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” by Nina Simone.
11. His favorite song OF HIS OWN is “Again” (I think many of his fans feel the same way!).
...and a few more things you should know:
1. His “Show Me Campaign” was launched in 2007, focusing on breaking the cycle of poverty by providing opportunities proven to improve lives and help people survive, thrive and succeed (visit www.showmecampaign.org for more information on John’s mission, updates on his organization, and ways to help support).
2. He wrote “Shine” for the documentary “Waiting for Superman” (which documents the process of inner city kids as they wait to hear the fate of their future education and addresses unfortunate issues with our educational system within these communities).
3. John’s latest album, a collaboration with The Roots titled “Wake Up!” was released on September 21st.
4. He just started working on his next album, which Kanye West is executive producing!
Interviewed by Ashley LaRae.
To find more information on Ashley or read her Bio, click here.
**Follow @Style_PHX on Twitter and "Like" us on Facebook for prizes, updates, and behind the scenes info!